Content: This training class will show you how to use statistical tools to assess the quality of an on-going laboratory or medical process.
Objectives: In this class, you will learn how to:
- implement measures to identify common and special causes of variation and to reduce them,.
- perform Analysis of Means (ANOM) to compare results among a peer group, and
- discover root causes using a Fishbone diagram.
Teaching strategies: Didactic lectures and small group exercises.
Notes: There are no pre-requisites for this class. Please bring a pocket calculator for some simple arithmetic calculations.
Web pages included in this handout:
- Where you can find this handout
- Why I don't use PowerPoint
- Using a pocket calculator to compute a standard deviation
- Calculating an XBAR-S control chart
- Calculating a P control chart
- Calculating an Analysis of Means chart
- Table for Analysis of Means
- How to draw a Fishbone diagram
The workshop will conclude with a summary and moderated discussion. Ample time for discussion of all topics has been allocated. A more detailed version of this handout with additional supporting material is at