Stats #17: Using Statistics to Monitor and Improve Quality
Content: This training class will show you how to use statistical tools to assess the quality of an on-going medical process.
Objectives: In this class, you will learn how to:
- identify major causes of problems using a Pareto chart;
- discover root causes using a Fishbone diagram; and
- use control charts to monitor quality on an ongoing basis.
Teaching strategies: Didactic lectures and small group exercises.
Notes: There are no pre-requisites for this class. Please bring a pocket calculator for some simple arithmetic calculations. This class does not qualify for IRB Education Credits (IRBECs).
Web pages included in this handout:
- Overview of the STATS web pages
- Consulting services that I provide
- Steps for establishing a quality control program
- Examples of a Fishbone diagram
- Examples of Pareto charts
- Please fill out an evaluation form